Sunday 8 July 2007

Tour de France


OK - I admit the World's most famous cycle race doesn't actually have anything to do with allotments but I thought I'd mention it anyway.



For those who don't know the Tour de France doesn't just visit France. This year it started in London. Saturday 7th was the prologue and today the first stage, which sert off from London through, amongst other places the London borough's of Greenwich and Bexley and then on down to the finish in Canterbury.

To be honest I can't really understand the hype. Generally speaking the "procession" seemed to basically be a number of vehicles emblazoned with sponsors logos who were chucking out into the crowd various meaningless "gifts". This was followed by another long wait before the race passed - if you'd sneezed at the wrong time you would have missed it! It was literally over in seconds - it took longer for all the support vehicles to pass by!

However, seeing as though it passed by the top of our road (about 10 minutes walk with a 2 year old) it was worth it. Would I go again? If it passed as close to where I was living as today - probably - but I really couldn't see myself travelling somewhere to watch. Anyway a couple of picture of the actual race:











No comments: